Casino Bonuses are one of the areas that make online casinos stand out when compared to land-based casinos. There is pretty much no such thing as casino bonuses at land-based casinos, whether you’re looking in New Zealand or other parts of the world.
However, online casinos love to give bonuses to their players, and they come in many forms. Online casinos will give bonuses in an attempt to attract new players, as well as use them to reward loyal players. With so many different types of real money gaming forms out there, we thought that our Kiwi players could probably use a casino bonus guide, which will help you determine which bonuses are best for you. With this guide, you can confidently hunt down the best real money online casino bonuses in New Zealand and reap the rewards!
Top New Zealand Casino Bonuses
CASINO BONUSES – HOW THEY GOT STARTED
The word of casino bonuses got off to a very slow start. Back when online casinos first started appearing, there weren’t all that many to choose from, and the competition between rival casino websites remained low. However, this all started to change as more and more online casinos started to appear. Suddenly, you needed you make sure your casino stood out from the crowd to attract as many new players as possible.
In the late 1990s and the early 2000s, we got our first taste of casino bonuses. These were very similar to the casino bonuses we know and love today. New players would deposit a certain amount of money into their account, and the online casino would match the deposit, or award the player a percentage of their deposit as a bonus. The bonuses also had an additional benefit; they made players feel more comfortable spending money at an online casino. These casino bonuses helped to reduce the perceived risk, which was great for the industry because many people were still very sceptical.
Casino Bonus Terms and Conditions
While the general idea behind many of these casino bonuses have remained the same, the Terms and Conditions had to get a lot stricter. When these welcome bonuses were first used, there were almost no T&Cs and many players were able to make a nice profit using the bonus. As the industry grew and there were more online casinos and players, this practice had to change. In addition to this, online casinos also had to introduce various T&Cs to protect themselves from casino bonus abusers. These were players who used deceptive methods to get multiple bonuses or jumped from casino to casino, claiming bonuses and making profits.
This lead to the terms and conditions we see today with casino bonuses. While these stricter rules and regulations, including the wagering requirement, casino bonuses may not be as amazing as they were a few years ago. However, they’re still fantastic and a great way to attract new players and reward loyal ones.
THE TYPES OF CASINO BONUSES
There are several different types of casino bonuses out there today, which can be a little confusing. Which bonus should you look out for and which is the most important? Keep reading to find out!
THE WELCOME BONUS
The welcome bonus is perhaps the single most popular casino bonus around. This is used to attract new players to the online casino. If you already have an account with a particular online gaming platform, you won’t be eligible for a welcome bonus.
If you’ve never used a welcome bonus before, they’re quite simple to claim. Typically, the welcome bonus consists of several deposit match bonuses, where the casino will give you additional credits when you deposit money into your account. Sometimes these bonuses are spread over several tiers, with different deposit match percentages. An example of a welcome bonus is as follows:
- 1st deposit – 100% deposit bonus up to $100
- 2nd deposit – 50% deposit bonus up to $200
- 3rd deposit – 25% deposit bonus up to $200
- 4th deposit – 100% deposit bonus up to $200
In this example, the total welcome bonus would be $700, although you’d have to deposit $1500 to claim all of it.
Many welcome bonuses will also include some free spins for a particular online pokie, probably around ten free spins. These can be great to use because you never know, you might get lucky.
NO DEPOSIT BONUS
The fabled No Deposit Bonus. This is one that most players are always on the lookout for. These aren’t all that common anymore, but they’re still out there. As the name suggests, a No Deposit Bonus is one that does not require the player to make a deposit before being awarded the bonus. Normally, these No Deposit Bonuses are quite small, maybe $10 or so, but they’re still worth claiming if you find one. Another common no deposit bonus you’ll see today is Free Spins being given out instead of casino credits, where you’ll granted ten free spins or so for a particular online pokie. This allows the casino to promote a new pokie, while still giving away free stuff to attract new players.
FREE PLAY CASINO BONUS
This is a rather interesting bonus that isn’t all that common. Casinos that offer this form of the bonus will give players a lot of credits to play with and a time limit to use them. Once the time limit runs out; the players will sometimes get to keep a portion of their winnings. Alternatively, players will need to make a deposit to access the winnings.
While it is important for online casinos to use casino bonuses to attract new players, it is also very important for them to reward existing players. This is where loyalty programs come in, which reward players depending on how much they play. Normally, most online casinos will have four tiers; each will offer better rewards than the one before it.
THE WAGERING REQUIREMENT
If you’re ever going to accept a casino bonus, you must understand that it comes with some strings attached. This is perhaps why many players think online casinos are a scam because they accepted a bonus, tried to withdraw winnings and were then told they couldn’t.
Typically, all bonuses will come with a wagering requirement. Which is the number of times a bonus has to be wagered before it can be withdrawn. In most cases, certain types of games will also count more towards the wagering requirement than others. Each online casino will have a different wagering requirement. Generally, you can expect it to be 50X the bonus or deposit amount. As mentioned, some games will count more towards it than others, see our example down below.
|Online Roulette||8%||$50||$62 500|
|Online Blackjack||2%||$50||$250 000|
As you can see, you’ll get through the wagering requirement faster if you play games that rely on luck, instead of skill. Online pokies don’t allow a player’s skill to influence the results at all and therefore count 100%, whereas a player’s skill in Blackjack can have a big influence on the outcome, making it count much less towards the wagering requirement.
CASINO BONUSES FOR MOBILE PLAYERS
Mobile Casinos are continuing to grow in popularity, and many online casinos have started to take note of this. As such, there are some mobile casinos that will give their players a bespoke, unique bonus package that is different from the one you get when playing on your PC or Laptop. While this isn’t always the case, it’s great to see that some mobile casinos are going the extra mile for its players.
- Comps – This term refers to the complimentary points player earns as they place bets. These points will normally amount to around 0.3% of all bets placed over a specific period.
- House Edge – a term used to describe the advantage the casino has over the players. This advantage ranges from around 5% down to 0.05% and depends on what game the player is enjoying. Because the casino always has some form of advantage, this lead to the saying, ‘the house always wins.’
- Free Play – Many online casinos allow players to play for free. Be advised, you can’t keep any of your winnings when playing for free.
- Free Play Bonus – Players will be given a large sum of credits and a set time limit. Once the time limit runs out, they will be able to keep a small portion of their winnings. A deposit may be required before they can claim any winnings.
- High Roller Bonuses – These bonuses are reserved for players who regularly spend large amounts of money at their online casino. These can include free spins, tournament entries and even gifts and holidays from the casino.
- Loyalty Bonuses – bonuses awarded to regular players, rewarding them for their loyalty.
- No Deposit Bonus – A highly sought after bonus which sees players awarded a few credits or a set number of free spins. They are not required to make any deposit before they can claim these bonuses.
- Wagering Requirement – The number of times a bonus has to be wagered before it can be withdrawn.
- Welcome Bonus – One of the most popular forms of casino bonus is designed to attract and reward new players. Players will need to make several deposits to claim the welcome bonus.