Many online gambling sites will offer three or more online Roulette games to Kiwi players. So, it’s best to find a great online casino with our casino reviews to ensure that you have a great gaming experience online. We’ll give you everything you need to enjoy the best table games New Zealand has to offer, like Roulette.
Top Online Roulette Casinos NZ
Playing Online Roulette in New Zealand
In case you have no idea what Online Roulette is, it involves a ball being dropped into a spinning Roulette wheel. The wheel features several different compartments, each with a number and colour, either red, black or green. Players will place a bet on where they think the ball will land and will win if they guessed correctly. Players can place very general bets, such as betting on red or black, odd or even, or they can get specific and bet on a particular number. Obviously, the more specific the bet, the worse the odds but, the better the payout if you win.
Because the game is so easy to play and understand, it has become extremely popular with New Zealand players, as well as other players all around the world. However, there are many players out there that believe Roulette is the ultimate game of skill. In the real world, the ball is sublet to the normal laws of physics, which some players say they can use to their advantage. Whether that is true or not, Roulette is extremely popular in the online world, as well as in land-based casinos.
The History of Roulette
Roulette was accidentally invented by a French physicist named Blaise Pascal. He was working on trying to create a perpetual motion device, which is a device that will keep spinning without the application of additional energy. In the process, he created the Roulette wheel and it soon found its way to the gambling world. The word Roulette even means ‘Little Wheel’ in French.
While Roulette may be a game we all know and recognise today, it was certainly not the first game in history to use some form of spinning wheel for gambling. There is evidence to suggest that ancient Greek soldiers used to spin their shields, while Roman soldiers spun the wheel of their chariots. This proves that the idea of gambling on the outcome of a spinning wheel is nothing new and that humanity has had an obsession with gambling for a very long time. Roulette, however, was the game that cemented this type of game in our culture. For this reason, Roulette is loved the world over.
Putting a new spin on Roulette
The Roulette wheel remained unchanged for quite some time after it was invented. This was to change in 1842 though, as a special Roulette wheel was made for King Charles III of Monaco. The King put in a special request to have a single green zero added to the wheel, to boost the house edge. This version of Roulette was then introduced into the casinos within Monaco. Which was suffering from some financial difficulties at the time. The national advantage that the zero provided the casino was enough to provide Monaco with a significant increase in revenue and helped to save the kingdom.
As the game gained popularity, it started to spread around the globe When it made its way to North America; it underwent another modification. The Americans decided that if one Zero was good, then two would be even better. So, American casinos soon featured Roulette wheels with 38 numbers on it (1-36, 0, 00). This change significantly increased the house edge, which was great for the casinos but less than ideal for the players.
What is Online Roulette?
As many of you may have been able to guess by now, online Roulette is the digital sibling of the game we have all come to know and love at our favourite land-based casinos. Players all over New Zealand have loved Roulette for years, and now we can enjoy it from our homes. Online Roulette aims to recreate the entire experience so the game basics will remain unchanged from the real life version of the game.
There are some differences that make online Roulette stand out, though. The most obvious one is that when you’re playing online Roulette, you have full control over your environment. At an online casino, there are hundreds of other people around you. There is lots of noise and lights that may distract a player. When playing from home, this is obviously not an issue. Kiwi players can make things as loud or as quiet as they want, which goes a long way to improving the gambling experience for many players, especially for newer players. Few people realise what a difference this can make, but if you think about it, you’ll see that being in an environment that allows you to be less distracted can have a dramatic effect on your winning potential.
Online vs Land-based Roulette
The other major difference between online Roulette and the game you’ll play in a land-based casino is how the results of spinning the wheel are determined. When you play at a land-based casino, the ball will be put into the spinning Roulette wheel and physics will ultimately determine where it stops. This is obviously not possible when the game is running the game in a digital environment. Instead of physics, online Roulette uses a Random Number Generator instead (RNG). A Random Number Generator is a piece of software that will randomly determine the result, without players being able to determine any pattern. In fact, the whole spinning of the wheel is just for show. As you hit ‘Spin,’ the RNG will instantly choose a number at random. A Random Number Generator is designed to be completely random, meaning that any losses can just be attributed to bad luck.
Online Roulette – The Different Versions
As with any casino game that has gained popularity, there are several different versions of the game available. The three main Roulette variants are American, French, and European Roulette. These three versions of the game are all very similar and have the same basic rules. However, there are some slight differences between the three.
When Roulette first arrived on the North American continent, the gambling operators saw the potential of the game. However, they decided that the house edge was good, but could be better. To rectify this situation, the North Americans decided to add an extra green zero onto the wheel. This gave the American Roulette wheel 38 numbers, instead of 37(1-36, 0, 00). This significantly improved the house edge and made it much easier to go on amazing winning streaks, or bank-shattering losing streaks. This “Higher Risk, Higher Reward” style really appealed to American players and American Roulette remains the wheel of choice on the North American continent.
European and French Roulette
European Roulette is perhaps the most common version of the game, both in online casinos and land-based casinos around the world. French Roulette is essentially the same thing. However, there are some tiny differences between European and French Roulette. Neither of these versions has the extra green 00 pocket that you find in American Roulette, instead you’ll find 37 numbers in total (1-36, 0). In land-based casinos, this is the most popular version of the game as most Roulette players see absolutely no reason to play American Roulette. It offers no benefit to the player and only benefits the casinos.
So what is the difference between European and French Roulette?
In truth, there is very little to differentiate the two Roulette games. French Roulette will use the French language for all writing on the table, but that’s just an aesthetic thing. The only real difference comes in the form of two rules that can benefit players on French Roulette tables.
- La Partage – This rule is one that significantly decreases the house edge. From 2.7% to around 1.3%. If this rule is in place, it will benefit all players who place an even-money bet, so those players betting on odds/evens or red/black. Should the ball and in the green 0, instead of losing your bet, you will get 50% of your wager returned to you.
- En Prison – Many players prefer a French Roulette table that is running La Partage, but En Prison can still be quite useful. It is a slightly more complicated rule, but it also benefits even money bets and works as follows. If you bet $10 on red and the ball lands on Zero, the croupier will put your bet in prison and spin the wheel again. If this spin lands on red, you get your bet back. However, if it lands on black or green, you lose.
These two rules might not always be followed by all French Roulette tables, but if they are, these give French Roulette the smallest house edge.
Online Roulette Tips and Tricks
Now we come to the section that everyone always wants to see, the tips and tricks. People always want to know what the trick is to winning big while playing online Roulette and we’re here to tell you! The bad news is that there is no trick. Roulette is a game that relies on luck because the results are completely random. There are some players out there who say that they can predict the upcoming results, by looking at previous spins, but this is simply not the case. This could very well be a case where the result is black for ten spins in a row, because at some point during the next several thousand spins, the average results will even out.
When the roulette wheel is spun, anything can happen. Instead of trying to feed you some techniques that probably won’t work, we’ve decided to give you some proper advice that will help you enjoy your time at the Roulette wheel more and maybe help reduce your losses a bit. For more on how to play roulette, check out our step-by-step guide.
Set a budget
The first piece of advice is to set yourself a budget. Decide how much money you are prepared to lose and stick to that figure. By sticking to your budget, you’ll protect your financial position and not spend too much of your money. Once you reach this budget, walk away and try another time again. Don’t chase your losses in an attempt to get even, this very rarely works and will likely just get you into more trouble.
Manage your time
Like your financial budget, set yourself some other limits. Decide how long you are going to play for and how often you are going to take a break. Playing for hours on end is bad for your personal life and We also recommend setting a winning limit. In other words, once you’ve won a set amount of money, stop playing. If you don’t set this kind of limit, you could easily land up losing all your winnings.
More online roulette tips and tricks
- When it comes to playing Roulette, we always recommend you hit the European or French Roulette table and stay away from American Roulette. European and French Roulette have a house edge of around 2.7%, while American Roulette increases the house edge to 5.26%.
- It is also important to spend some time reading the rules for the different versions; you can never be too prepared. As we’ve mention, there are some slight differences between the three Roulette games and it’s better to know them, rather than get caught out.
- Our final tip is to practise the game. Almost all online casinos will allow you to play Online Roulette for free. Use this to your advantage and spend a little time playing for free. This will allow you to learn the game or try out a new betting strategy. This is an amazing tool to use; it’s a mistake not to take advantage of this.
Online Roulette Glossary – Learn the Lingo
If you want to become a world-class Roulette player, whether online or in a land-based casino, there are a few terms you’ll need to know. These are, in our opinion, some of the most important terms related to Roulette.
- Black bet – When a player bets that the ball will land on a black number. The odds of success are close to 50/50.
- Column Bet – On the Roulette table, there will be a three columns of 12 numbers. Players can bet on one of these columns, and if their number comes up, they win.
- Corner Bet – when a player decides to bet on a number in one of the four corners of the table.
- Croupier – This is the official name for the casino employee who runs the Roulette table. Think of the croupier as the Roulette dealer.
- Double Zero – A unique Roulette number that is only found on the North American Roulette Wheel. This extra number, 00, increases the house edge from 2.7% to 5.3%.
- High Bet – Placing a bet on a number from 18 to 36.
- Low Bet– Betting on numbers from 1 to 18.
- Red bet – when a player bets that the ball will land on a red number.
- Single Zero Roulette – This is the more common form of Roulette, with 36 numbers and a single 0. This is the layout you’ll find with European and French Roulette.
- Split Bet – When a player decides to bet on two numbers that are on opposite ends of the Roulette wheel from each other.
- Straight Bet – When a player places a bet on a single number. The odds of landing this are quite small, but if you’re lucky enough to do so, the payout is quite
Making the Best of Online Roulette
If you want to ensure you have the best possible time while playing online Roulette at your favourite Internet Casino, then we’ve got some final tips for you to keep in mind. For starters, always make sure to double check what version of Roulette you’re playing at the Online Casino. The online casino you’re playing at could be based anywhere in the world, so there is no reason to think it will be sticking to one version of online roulette. That is why we always say you need to double check.
This will give you all the information to plan your strategy and decide how to approach the online casino game. Next up, please try to make sure you are playing at an online casino that accepts your local currency, or at least one that has a very similar value. The last thing you want to do is try to calculate how much you’re betting or how much you won or lost. Getting this wrong could lead to spending a lot more than you intended.
Consider the odds
Finally, always remember that the odds in online roulette are a little different to those in a land-based casino. The Random Number Generator will ensure that the outcome of each spin is completely random and independent of any other results. This means that betting on odd/even or red/black will give you near 50/50 odds of winning. It is easy to see why Roulette has become so popular in the gambling world today. It is very easy to play, easy to understand and very fun and thrilling. Roulette has even become quite popular in the world of movies and novels. One notable character that enjoyed playing Roulette from time to time was James Bond. With the invention and proliferation of online casinos, it is now easier than ever to enjoy a few spins of the ‘little wheel.’